We love music. It makes our lives a zillion times better. And we want to give something back to her (yes, to us music is a lady). Make her life easier and her future brighter. We apply our scientific, data-infused brains to tell everyone what music has been played – so that creators get the recognition they deserve. We hear everything everywhere and tell everyone who wants to know. ‘What plays around will come back around’ we say. We believe by helping this happen we can make a positive change in the music ecosystem and enjoy talent for another million years.
We are a team of pretty decent people who enjoy working with each other. We’re open minded and well travelled, coming from all parts of the world. We like coffee, tea, chai, and mate all the same. We’ve got rappers, producers, cello players, DJs, and songwriters. The passion for music, the excitement for technology and Barcelona as a backdrop has proven to make a good combination. We say there is a BMAT touch. We believe it has to do with being passionate, obsessive, nice, generous, honest, self-motivated, entrepreneurial, intrepid, crazy, extraordinary, creative, agile, human, friendly, smart, witty, talented, naive, optimistic, surprising, sensual, and nerdy, but not very hipster (unfortunately).
BMAT started in 2005 when a group of engineers with a passion for music decided to spin-off from an audio research lab in Barcelona. The company started with an idea – to index all the music in the world – and a mission – to better the music eco-system – and a team of nerds eager to learn how to build a successful business. Today the company has grown to more than a hundred people – spread across Barcelona, Buenos Aires, Lima, São Paulo, London, Paris, Oslo, Tel-Aviv, Johannesburg, Singapore, Tokyo and Seoul – that team up to deliver daily 1 million identifications and 3 billion matches to our partners from all over the music industry.
You will contribute to the development and maintenance of a distributed platform that monitors the
music in more than 4000 channels across the world. As front-end developer you will work closely with
UX designers, project managers and back-end engineers to implement exemplary user experiences.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Help to maintain existing projects including updating content and adding new pages.
- Communication with other departments: explain technical ideas to non-technical people, translate customer needs into requirements.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Bachelor Degree in Computer Science or Informatics Engineering
- Proven experience in a similar position
- Experience using Git or other version control system
- Understanding of web performance when building complex user interfaces
- Keen interest in new and emerging technologies
- Planning and organisational skills Autonomy
Some technical details for the curious:
- All our platform runs on GNU/Linux.
- Our server-side code is written in Python.
- Our frontend code is done in Typescript, SASS and Angular/React.
- We use MySQL as a main database.
- Our source code is managed with Git.
- BMAT’s lingua franca is Spanish / Catalan, so fluency in those languages would be a plus.
What we offer:
- Full time position
- Flexibility on working hours and home office
- Free coffee, fruits and language classes
- Snacks, beers and jam sessions on Friday afternoons
- Become part of a young and international team based in Barcelona obsessed with bettering the music industry